Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Courage: a spirit that allows a person to face difficulty or danger


When I first think of COURAGE I think of our men and women in the military, our police officers and firefighters, disaster survivors, and folks who face life threatening health concerns. Rarely, unless it's brought to my attention, do I think of people being COURAGEOUS in their every day lives, but the truth is that we are all COURAGEOUS every day.

Parents and caregivers are COURAGEOUS as they make choices about how to raise their children. At times they have to take a stand for what they believe, even if it flies in the face of what others believe or do. It takes COURAGE to tell a child "no" and stick to it, even as they are having a melt down and not getting their way. It takes COURAGE to send your child out into the world- at school, work, getting married, etc. It takes COURAGE to raise a family and it's not for the faint of heart!

One of the most COURAGEOUS people I've ever known was my dad. When I was in elementary school my dad developed an addiction to alcohol. As the years went by and his addiction became greater and greater, it affected his family, friends, and health. Finally, when I was in high school my dad made the COURAGEOUS decision to get sober. While not easy, he overcame his addiction and mended relationships. It takes COURAGE to face any kind of addiction- alcohol, drugs, nicotine, gambling, food, money, etc.

It also seems to me that it takes COURAGE to be a Christian. Often times our society looks at Christians as "bible thumpers", people who are "holier than thou", or even hypocrites. It takes COURAGE to live a Christian life and to tell others about your beliefs and faith. Being a Christian doesn't mean you're perfect, it means you have a relationship with God. You have a support system through Him. You are saved by His grace. It takes COURAGE to stand-up and proudly say, "I'm not perfect, but I'm working on living my life for God!"

There are so many other ways that we are COURAGEOUS, but one thing I've learned is that it's easier to have COURAGE to do things that are difficult, if you have God on your side. If you don't know Him, I encourage you to meet Him. Do you have the COURAGE to take that step?

"Be strong and of good COURAGE, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

2 comments:

  1. I was led to this blog by Jackie whom I've never met but through Facebook is a big support for me. I love your writing and am contemplating a blog of my own. I am inspired by your words. Who knows what might come of it. Thank you from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. :) So glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete