Friday, January 20, 2012

Whirlwind: (adj) with speed or force


Living in Florida you tend to get used to two things: hot, humid summer days and the afternoon thunderstorms that go with them. It’s usually between two and four o’clock in the afternoon when the clouds grow larger, and humidity shoots up with it. Before long the white clouds turn gray and heavy with rain. The WIND starts whipping, the thunder begins to roar, and the lightning slashes across the sky. It’s such a WHIRLWIND of energy, light, and sound. It’s one of God’s great performances.

Even though it’s January, and we don’t have too many thunderstorms and WHIRLWINDS at this time of year, last night I couldn’t help reflecting upon them. I’m taking part in a women’s bible study at my church. We’re working on Jennifer Rothschild’s study called “Fingerprints of God: Recognizing God’s Touch in our Lives.” Our bible study is being led by a friend of mine, Jackie, and last night she reminded me of one those afternoon thunderstorms. Just like the thunderstorms, she is full of energy. She moves quickly from one place to another. Just like the WIND those thunderstorms produce, Jackie fills the room with her big personality, love for the Lord, and willingness to share His love. Jackie’s eager to seek God through prayer and just by watching and talking with her you can see God working through her. When things are tough, Jackie’s there to offer a shoulder to cry on and a prayer that brings with it God’s peace. She is a WHIRLWIND of activity for God.

Just like the afternoon thunderstorm brings with it a WHIRLWIND of activity, I want to be a WHIRLWIND too. I want others to see my enthusiasm for God, His energy surrounding me, and be able to recognize His peace in my life.

“And suddenly there came from Heaven a noise like a rushing WIND, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.”- Acts 2:2

3 comments:

  1. Robin - I love your blog! It made me pause for a minute and absorb your words, you have a gift for writing and I look forward to reading your blog in the future. Love you girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lou Ann. I love your writing. I want to enjoy my reading and let the words do the work. I get tired of spending my reading time sifting through unnatural, fancy wordy passages!! You write as if we are having a conversation - and I love that! It's like we are chatting over coffee. So REAL!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! You made my night!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete